Home Remedies for Skin: They say ‘beauty is skin deep’ and ‘beauty is more than just a beautiful face’. True, but that doesn’t mean you should care less about your skin. The human face is the primary focus of first impressions and, of course, you don’t want to leave a distinguishing mark that says ‘ugly’. Here are home remedies for glowing skin:
Home Remedies for Skin
Beauty begins from the inside. Approximately 50% to 70% of body mass is made up of water. Moreover, the skin is 60% water. Dehydration is a condition wherein the body does not have enough water to support the vital functions of the body. Read: Supermodel Skin: How Supermodels Keep It Glowing
The Power of Hydration. A dehydrated body leaves the epidermal layer weak and dry – and it will not be able to protect the body against bacterial invasion. To add, a dehydrated body will not be able to remove toxins and waste products from the body. Thus, a sufficient six to eight glasses a day is enough to flush out toxins from the body and keep skin integrity in optimum condition – making the skin appear healthy, glowing, and hydrated.
Watch What You Eat
Of course, what you take into your body will manifest in your body and skin. Choose your meals carefully. This includes making healthy food choices that are beneficial not only for your skin but for your entire body as well. Take note of the food groups that trigger hormonal fluctuations and inflammation. Avoid food groups that include processed food, deep fried, and salty food.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C assists in collagen formation to keep your skin supple and youthful. The said vitamin also strengthens immunity against bacteria. Foods rich in vitamin C include orange, lime, and guava.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin that blocks free radicals from the body.Free radicals play a pivotal role in the aging process, so you definitely need to power up with vitamin E. Foods rich in vitamin E include almonds, walnuts, whole grains, and cereals.
- Beta Carotene. The beta carotene in carrots is converted into vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A is a miracle vitamin that reduces the signs of skin aging, preferably wrinkles. Carrots are also known for its glowing properties.
- Fish. Fatty fish is the kind of fat that is actually beneficial to the skin. Fish like salmon, mackerel, and herring is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 is necessary to keep skin supple and moisturized. In fact, the lack of Omega-3 can cause dry skin. To add, fatty fish is rich in vitamin E that is also good for the body.
- Dark Chocolate. Yes, chocolate can do wonders for your skin.In a recent study, it was found out that people who consumed cocoa powder high in antioxidants for 6 to 12 weeks have better and more hydrated skin.
- Soy. Soy contains isoflavones, or plant compounds, that provides numerous of benefits to the skin – it slows down skin aging by providing the skin with the needed collagen to improve elasticity. It is also known to moisturize skin, thus treating/preventing skin dryness.
- Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is a natural supplement and detoxifying agent. It nourishes the body from the inside and removes toxins from the body. Aloe gives out a beautifully clear and glowing complexion with regular intake.
- Green Tea. The powerful compound in green tea is known as catechins. Catechins are known to reduce body fat as well as detoxify the body. This rids the body of harmful toxins that can cause outbreaks in the skin.
- Red Wine. Red wine contains resveratrol, a compound from the skin of red grapes and is a powerful antioxidant and anti aging agent. Resveratrol slows down the aging process by quenching harmful free radicals that damage skin.
- Clean your face religiously
Before divulging further to homemade secrets to a glowing skin, one of the most fundamental practices is cleaning your face. Undeniably, cleansing is still the number one way to rid your face of unwanted dirt, oil, sebum, and bacteria that can clog up pores and cause outbreaks.
The Power of Honey
Honey is a powerful antibacterial that fights acne. It is also a natural antioxidant that reverts skin aging. It also has moisturizing and clarifying effect to the skin. Here are ways you can maximize the powers of honey.
- Honey and Lemon. Mix one tablespoon of honey with one tablespoon of lemon. Apply onto face and let it settle for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter. Honey’s antibacterial and moisturizing effects together with the whitening effects of lemon provide a good combo of benefits for the skin.
- Honey and Milk. Combine one tablespoon of honey with 2 tablespoons of milk. Apply onto face and let it settle for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter. Milk is known for its whitening effects. It is likewise a natural cleanser that provides a number of moisturizing benefits for the skin.
- Honey and Papaya. Mash papaya and mix with one tablespoon of honey. Apply onto face and let it settle for 15 minutes.Rinse thereafter. Papaya is packed with nutrients such as vitamin C, flavonoids, potassium, and magnesium.
- Honey and Baking Soda. Of course, who doesn’t have baking soda on their cupboard? Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Apply onto face and massage in a circular motion. Baking soda is a good cleansing and exfoliating scrub. Massage for 5 minutes before rinsing.
- Honey and Carrot. Take 2 tablespoons of pureed carrot and combine with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply onto face and let it settle for 15 minutes.Rinse thereafter. Carrot is rich in vitamin C and beta carotene that helps prevent skin aging and improves skin immunity.
The Power of Turmeric
The use of turmeric dates back to the ancient Vedic culture of India and has been long known for its cosmetic and medicinal use. Turmeric is a rhizomatous plant of the ginger family. Turmeric power, meanwhile, is made from grinding the stems of mature turmeric rhizomes. Turmeric powder is bright yellow and is a powerful agent that soothes allergy, infection, and inflammation.
- Turmeric and Orange Juice. This face mask is best for oily skin. Simply combine the two ingredients and form a smooth paste. Apply onto face and gently massage. Leave for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Turmeric and Egg White. Egg white has the unique ability to maintain the skin’s integrity and elasticity – thus reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Simply combine the two ingredients and add a few drops of oil, rose water, and lemon juice – about 1 tablespoon each. Apply onto face and let it settle for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter.
- Turmeric, Flour, and Cream. This might sound like a recipe for baking bread but the trio offers a soothing face mask. Simply combine a pinch of turmeric, 2 tablespoons of flour, and 1 tablespoon of cream and form and paste. Apply onto face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter.
- Turmeric and Sandalwood. Sandalwood is a pale yellow fragrant wood and is a time tested Ayurvedic medicine for acne. Moreover, sandalwood also has the distinct property that keeps skin soft and supple. Simply combine a tablespoon of sandalwood with one-fourth tablespoon of turmeric. Apply onto face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter.
- Turmeric, Oatmeal, and Lemon. This trio, with its individual benefits, is a powerful blend that will definitely make skin healthy and glowing. Simply combine a pinch of turmeric, a tablespoon of oatmeal powder, and a few drops of lime juice. Apply onto face and massage in a circular motion. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse thereafter.
The Power of Banana
Of course, who doesn’t have a banana in the cupboard or fridge? Banana is packed with nutrients such as potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, zinc, and amino acid. It has anti aging effects not to mention it gives skin a healthy and natural glow.
- Plain Banana. Banana alone is enough to be a soothing and therapeutic face mask. Simply mash a ripe banana and apply onto face. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse thereafter. Banana keeps acne at bay, reverts the signs of skin aging, and repair skin.
- Banana and Egg White. Egg White has the unique property of tightening skin and closing pores. Simply mash a ripe banana and mix it with egg white. Mix until it forms into a paste. Apply onto face and leave for 5 minutes. Rinse thereafter and pat dry with a soft towel.
- Banana, Honey, and Yogurt. Honey’s antibacterial properties and the yogurt’s healing properties with banana is a perfect blend for giving skin a soothing treatment. Simply combine the ingredients and form into a thick paste. Apply onto face and let it settle for a few minutes. Rinse and pat dry thereafter.
- Banana and Almond Oil. Almond oil is best in removing debris from the skin pores. It is also helpful in preventing acne due to its vitamin A content. Simply mash a banana and add a few drops of almond oil. Massage on to face and leave for a few minutes. Rinse thereafter.
- Banana, Honey, and Turmeric. Turmeric is known for its healing properties and honey as an antibacterial. Simply mash a banana, add some turmeric and honey. Apply onto skin and leave for a few minutes. Rinse thoroughly. This healthy combination is best to keep acne and blackheads at bay.
The Power of Lemon
Rich in vitamins and minerals, lemons are excellent exfoliating and bleaching agents. Lemon is a species of small evergreen tree in the flowering plant family Rutaceae and is native to Asia. Aside from its whitening effects, lemons are also known to keep acne and blackheads at bay due to its antibacterial properties.
- Lemon Alone. Lemon alone is enough. Simply slice a lemon and squeeze. The juice can be applied generously on to face – lemon acts as an exfoliating agent, removing dead skin cells and improving overall complexion.
- Lemon and Potato. This pack is best to get rid of blemishes and dark spots. Simply blend one potato and squeeze one lemon into the paste. Apply generously onto face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with towel thereafter.
- Lemon, Honey, and Sugar. This recipe might sound too sweet to be a facial but it is actually a good exfoliating scrub. Sugar is an excellent source of glycolic acid that helps out even skin tone and clears pores. Honey, on the other hand, is an excellent antibacterial agent. For this, simply take one tablespoon of
fine sugar and squeeze half a lemon in it. Combine the mixture with a 1⁄2 tablespoon of honey and apply generously onto the face. Massage gently and rinse thereafter.
- Lemon, Sandalwood, and Rosewater. Rosewater is flavored water made by steeping rose petals in water. It is known for its anti inflammatory properties that can help ease the redness brought by an irritated skin, acne, dermatitis, and even eczema. For this, simply mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and one tablespoon each of lemon juice and rose water. Mix until it forms into a paste. Massage onto face for 5 minutes and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse thereafter.
- Lemon and Fuller’s Earth Powder. Fuller’s Earth is a type of clay that serves as a staple ingredient in most beauty products as it contains a number of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. This recipe will greatly help reduce and control oil. Simply mix one tablespoon of Fuller’s Earth Powder and 2 tablespoons of lime juice. Add water to form a paste. Apply generously to face and let the mixture dry. Rinse thereafter and pat dry. Do this twice a week for better results.
The Power of Yogurt
The acidity in yogurt, known as lactic acid, helps remove dead skin cells and tighten pores. Aside from that, it can also reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Yogurt is a product from the bacterial fermentation of milk and is a good source of nutrients. Here are quick yogurt recipes for the skin.
- Yogurt and Strawberry. Strawberries are effective against acne and blemishes due to its ellagic acid content. It is also good in reducing damage caused by harmful UV rays. Take some strawberries and mash it. Add yogurt to form a paste. Apply onto face and let the mixture dry. Rinse thereafter.
- Yogurt and Mango. Apart from being an appetizing fruit, mangoes are known anti aging properties. It contains collagen that keeps skin youthful, soft, and supple. For this, just take some mango juice and combine it with yogurt. Mix until it achieves a creamy appearance. Apply onto face and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Yogurt and Turmeric. Turmeric is an effective antibacterial. It also helps improve complexion and maintain skin elasticity. Simply take two tablespoons of yogurt and add 1⁄4 teaspoon of turmeric. Mix well and apply onto face. Wash off thereafter.
- Yogurt, Honey, and Apple. The trio is an effective treatment to calm the pores and prevent it from excreting too much oil. Blend an apple, half is fine, and add 3 tablespoons of yogurt and a few drops of honey. Work into a paste and apply generously onto the face. Massage in a circular motion and rinse thereafter.
- Yogurt, Cucumber, Watermelon, Milk Powder. This combination is perfect for your skin. Cucumber provides a soothing feel and is good for irritated skin. Milk, meanwhile, is a natural cleansing agent and watermelon is a good toner. For this, combine 2 tablespoons each of cucumber and watermelon juice. Add 1 tablespoon of yogurt and likewise a tablespoon of milk powder. Mix well until it forms into a paste. Apply onto face for 15 minutes and rinse thereafter.
The Power of Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a natural anti inflammatory agent. However, what’s great about oatmeal is that it is suitable for all skin types – even for the most sensitive one. It soothes irritated skin and serves as a good cleansing agent due to its saponin content, a glucoside from plants that creates a soapy lather when mixed with water.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal alone is enough to make a simple face mask. Simply take 5 tablespoons of ground oatmeal and add water until a soft paste is formed. Apply onto face and let it settle for 20 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry with soft towel.
- Oatmeal and Milk. Milk is packed with nutrients and provides a number of skin benefits. Simply take 5 tablespoons of ground oatmeal and combine with milk until it forms into a soft paste. Apply generously onto face and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse well thereafter.
- Oatmeal, Honey, and Milk. Simply combine 1 tablespoon of oat flour with 2 tablespoons of honey. Add a tablespoon of milk and apply onto face. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse thereafter.
- Oatmeal and Yogurt. This face mask is a sure soothing face mask fit for all skin types. The lactic acid in yogurt helps dissolve dead skin cells and gives your skin a youthful glow. Simply combine 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal. You may opt to add a few drops of honey. Blend the mixture. Apply onto face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
- Oatmeal, Lemon, and Egg White. Fight skin aging with this trio. Simply mix lemon juice, egg white, and a tablespoon of oatmeal. Mix well until it forms into a paste. You may opt to add water if the mixture is too thick. Apply onto face and leave for 20 minutes. Wash thereafter and pat dry with soft towel.
Other Natural Home Remedies
- Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate, eaten or applied on the skin, provides a number of benefits. It contains a cocktail of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Just make sure that the dark chocolate you are intending to use is 70% cocoa. Dark chocolate is a natural skin moisturizer and anti-aging ingredient.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) contains alpha-hydroxy acids that remove dead skin cells. Moreover, ACV alters the pH of your skin. It keeps the skin naturally acidic – and this keeps bacteria
that causes acne at bay.
- Buttermilk. A natural probiotic, buttermilk contains lactic acid that works as an excellent exfoliant. Lactic acid is present in almost every beauty product and is considered one of the best peels that many doctors recommend.
- Aloe Vera. Aloe is easy to grow. Aloe vera gel contains two distinct hormones, namely: Auxin and Gibberellins. These are excellent agents that provide wound healing and ease skin inflammation. The use of aloe is even indicated in Ayurvedic medicine and has been used for the treatment of acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Lemongrass. Lemongrass has intense skin healing properties. You may opt to add lemongrass oil to your skin products or make one for your skin. Simply boil some lemongrass and keep the water in an ice tray and freeze. Once frozen, take an ice cube and gently rub on your face. This acts as a toner and the cold will help close pores and improve circulation.
- Ghee and Glycerin. For instant moisturizing, simply combine the two ingredients and apply generously onto face and hands. Glycerin is actually a humectant that attracts moisture to the skin. It is also an emollient that keeps skin soft and supple.
- Marigold. If you have a garden in your yard, you can actually grow marigold. Simply take two marigold flowers and put some raw milk and honey. Puree and apply generously to face. Marigold is known to cure common skin ailments.
- Olive Oil. Of course, who doesn’t have olive oil in their kitchen? Olive oil is a miracle home remedy for the skin. It has anti aging and antioxidant properties. It is good for the skin, hair, and nails. Simply take some olive oil and mix it with milk cream and a few pinches of turmeric. Blend the ingredients and apply onto face like a facial mask. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse thereafter.
- Carrot Juice. Carrots are rich in beta carotene which can help with reducing skin inflammation. Meanwhile, the vitamin C in carrots help with skin healing. For this, simply take a carrot and grind it in a mixer. Take some a rub it on your skin. This can help remove dead skin cells and stimulate cell regeneration. Moreover, you can also add curd and olive oil for best results.
- Egg White. Egg whites are high in protein and are also rich in calcium. Separate the yolk from the egg whites. Combine egg whites with milk and beat until frothy. Apply generously to face and slowly massage in a circular motion. This quick treatment is best for people with dry skin.